Wednesday 7 August 2019

James Bayne

I am feeling quite pleased with myself.

The large Bayne/Bain family in Fife has been well researched by others before me, but I have found one, James Bayne, who so far hasn't figured on anyone else's tree. I think this is for two reasons
1  his birth in 1817 was not recorded
2 he had no children so no-one was working back up the way
He passed unnoticed until I downloaded his mother's death certificate from scotlandspeople and it was signed by James Bayne son in 1860.  Who he?

After some searching the censuses via ancestry I found him married to Margaret Kidd. They were at Arncroach in 1851 and 1861

I downloaded his death certificate to be doubly sure he was my GG uncle and he was.

His mother-in-law Sophia Kidd was living with them in 1851 and 1861 so that is how I knew his wife's name since I can't find a record of the marriage.  In 1861 a brother William Kidd, "fundholder", is living with them too. I couldn't find him in earlier censuses so I googled and found this photo
which gave me James Bayne's date of birth of 17 May 1816.  The inscription is also on Fife FHS CD but it is great to see the original stone. Thanks to Sandy Stevenson for posting it.

William Kidd had been in Calcutta. Still to find out what he was doing there, probably with the HEIC (The Honourable Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East Indies) or the army.

I found out all this because I got the certificate and read carefully all the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment